SThomasKaza

Book Blog (S. Thomas Kaza)

Kim by Rudyard Kipling

Kim (Classic, 20th-Century, Penguin) - Rudyard  Kipling

If you are willing to put aside the hyper-sensitive, arrogant, post-20th century viewpoint that this book is a racist treatise on the superiority of the white man, if you are willing to dig deeper into the text and work at understanding the non-English words and religious concepts, if you are able to look for the deeper meanings, shades of meanings, and hints of meanings, then you are in for a treat.

In Rudyard Kipling’s Kim I experienced colonial India of over a century ago rising up around me. I became immersed in the sights and sounds of a rich land filled with colorful people, a blend of races and creeds that I cannot imagine being contained on a single canvas. I felt a sudden longing for India which I had never felt before. And I felt the desire to spend just one day with Kim, a courageous and streetwise boy, as he travels the dusty roads with his beloved master, begging a meal, winning a smile and a favor, helping a fellow poor soul.

I may or may not read any other Rudyard Kipling books, but I will definitely read Kim again. I consider it a masterpiece of literature that requires a fair amount of hard work to unlock its breadth and its beauty. And although I read the whole book, I feel as if I did not read some parts well. I think everybody who reads this book will take something different away.